The goal of the 200 hour program is to make you, the student, comfortable teaching a basic all levels yoga class.
The 200 hour program is just the beginning of a wonderful journey of learning and application of knowledge. Even if you are not interested in teaching, but are a serious student of yoga, this program is for you.
The program meets two days a week on average: one full Sunday from 10am-6pm and on Tuesday evenings from 6:30-9:30pm (and occasionally a holiday Monday.)
This time setting for the program allows students to maintain both their work and family life, as well as to have time between training days to absorb and contemplate the material. The teaching style offered is hands on and deeply engaging, yet fun and practical.
This time setting for the program allows the participant to still have a work and family life and to have time between training days to absorb and contemplate the material being offered. The teaching style offered is hands on and deeply engaging yet fun and practical.
Contact Leanne and start your teacher training journey today
Leanne Kitteridge, ERYT-500, C-IAYT
Leanne has been teaching for over 18 years, including serving as the Director of Teaching at Shibui Yoga since she founded it in 2012. She is extremely proud of the eight years of quality programs that the school has offered. Leanne loves facilitating both students and teachers in their knowledge and growth in yoga. She is excited to offer this new style of program for the 300 and will be teaching the majority of the philosophy and teaching methodology portions of the program.
Kim Sheridan RYT-500
Kim loves to create space for each of her students to experience the yoga practice that nourishes and empowers them on an individual level, while honouring their unique experience in the practice. She uses physical movement to strengthen the body, so that the mind and heart can explore freedom and possibility.
Kim is a part of the Shibui team and will be teaching the Restorative and Subtle Body components of the courses as well as other areas. She is an alumni of the Shibui Yoga 300 hour Advanced teacher training.
Jill Irvine, RYT-500, Physiotherapist
Jill is a local physiotherapist with a passion for yoga. She was one of Shibui Yoga’s first graduates from its teacher training program. She has since gone on to advanced her skills and incorporate them with her physiotherapy training and other advanced teaching skills to become a Medical Yoga Therapist. Jill will be teaching advanced anatomy and applied anatomy in the 300 hour program.
Lauren Roegele, ERYT-500
Lauren has been passionately involved in Yoga since 2001, and teaching full time since 2005. She has owned and operated a yoga studio, lead yoga teacher training courses both as program director and faculty member for the Vancouver school of yoga (2008 – 2016).
Lauren wears her heart on her sleeve and teaches from a sincere and authentic place. She’s committed to walking the talk by getting to her yoga practice everyday and recognizing that the choices she makes on her mat as they make a difference off of it
We are proud to welcome her into the 300 Hour program where she will be working on refining the teacher’s own asana practice and breaking down the parts of practice including sequencing and themeing.
Laura Chenier-McFadden, 500-ERYT
Laura crafts playful classes to empower and challenge her students. She took her initial 200 hour teacher training to delve deeper into the study of yoga and discovered so much more than the physical practice. Since then, Laura continues to feed her insatiable curiosity about the science of yoga by educating herself on and off the mat.
She is an admitted anatomy geek and works as an Alignment and Movement trainer using yoga to help her chiropractic patients.
In Laura’s classes, expect humour, empathy, mindful challenge, and the opportunity to explore your unique yoga practice
- Yoga Resource Practice Manual – Darren Rhodes
- The Concise Book of Muscles – Chris Jamey
- The Bhagavad Gita – Eknath Easwaran
- Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques – Mark Stephens
- Shibui Yoga Handbook and Syllabus
Techniques, Training, and Practice
- Universal Principles of Alignment™: purpose, application, technique lectures and quizzes, practice
- Loops of the UPA’s: introduction, purpose, technique lectures, practice
- Level 1 syllabus of poses: form, benefits, contradictions, practice
- Level 2 syllabus of poses: form, benefits, contradictions, practice
- Restorative Yoga
- Meditation: styles, application, practice
- Pranayama: styles, application practice
- Common Misalignments
- Introduction to manual adjustments
- Class preparation: building sequences beginner through level 2
- Observation skills, demoing and adjusting
- Voicing an active practice
- Taking the seat of the teacher
- Integrating UPA’s into teaching
Anatomy and Physiology
- Human anatomy: skeletal, muscular and basic nervous system
- Energy body/subtle body: chakras, nadis, and inner body
Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle, and Ethics
- History of Yoga: ancient roots to modern yoga body
- Philosophy: Bhagavad Gita, Tantra Metaphysics and cosmology
- Ethics: Yamas and Niyamas, student / teacher relationships
- Business of Yoga
- Group Practice Teachings (feedback & observation)
- Practical Exam:
- One 60 minute class
- Written Exam (take-home)
- March 29th, 31st
- April 5th, 7th, 12th, 14th, 19th, 21st, 26th, 28th
- May 3rd, 5th, 10th, 12th, 18th*, 19th, 24th, 26th
- June 2nd, 7th, 9th, 14th, 16th, 21st, 23rd, 28th, 30th
- July 5th, 7th, 12, 14th, 19th, 21st, 26th, 28th
*Some dates subject to change
- Sundays 8 hours (10am – 6pm)
- Holiday Mondays* 8 hours (10am – 6pm)
- Tuesday evenings 3 hours (6:30pm – 9:30pm)
- 18 years of age.
- One year of yoga experience.
- Meeting with the Director of Teaching
- Good health with no major medical issues that prevent the practice of basic yoga (inquire if unsure).
- Understand and read through the policies regarding attendance, dismissal, and dispute resolution (if you miss more than 5 days of training you are not eligible for graduation). Must sign an approved contract only after reading and understanding all policies.
- Committed to a training program that will be demanding of time and effort.
- Total Course Fee: $2900 plus GST
- Registration Deposit: $250 (non-refundable deposit, deducted from course fee)
- Forms of Payment: Cheque, Cash, Credit Card** (service charge 3%) or Bank transfer
- Consideration will be made for special circumstances requiring a payment plan (contact me)